The Renaissance tower of the Church of El Salvador once again proclaims the triumph of granite within an urban landscape: its solid form rises over the red rooftops, as a reminder of Pedroche's bygone glory as the capital of the Siete Villas [the seven villages].
Pedroche has also bequeathed its name to the surrounding region.
The tower provides an excellent view of the plain, looking down over the surrounding villages that stand amidst oak groves.
Moorish chroniclers make reference to Pedroche, then known as Bitrawsh, as the most important village in Fash al-Ballut in the 13th century, borne out by the fact that it was the capital of this region.
Following its definitive conquest by Christian forces in approximately 1237, the village changed its name to Villapedroche and, sever years later, was ceded to Córdoba.
The capital of the Siete Villas de los Pedroches [the seven villages of los Pedroches] and seat of the archdeaconry of the Sierra from 1265 onwards, Pedroche has always remained a Crown property, except in the period between 1660 and 1747, when, along with the other Siete Villas, it formed a part of the Marquessate of El Carpio.
Add to planner