Perched on a hill of bluish rock overlooking the Guadiato, the castle is the first feature of Belmez that strikes the viewer observing the village from a distance.
Close up, the steep crag that serves as the base of the fortress is even more impressive.
The tower of the parish church, which undoubtedly suffers from an inferiority complex next to the overpowering presence of the castle, emerges amidst the red roofs of the hamlet that spread out modestly at the foot of the outcrop.
According to the historian R. Córdoba, Belmez may have arisen in the 12th century, based around a watchtower that was a dependency of Zuheros (not to be confused with the town in the Subbética region), the most important locality during the period of Almohad occupation, which was deserted following Christian conquest.
Belmez has always formed a part of Córdoba, except during isolated and sporadic periods when it was ceded to nobles as estate.
The discovery of coal in 1770 marked the beginning of a period of economic growth that reached its zenith in the middle of the 19th century.
Add to planner