The diligence and perseverance of the central European colonists who founded the town converted waste ground into cultivated land, which appears as a green patchwork quilt as a result of the recently installed irrigation channels.
The streets of the town centre are also divided into squares, centred around Plaza Real, which houses the oldest and most important buildings in the locality.
Fuente Palmera is one of the Nuevas Poblaciones [new towns and villages] founded by Charles III in 1768 in the area of waste land known as La Parrilla.
The colonists who began to repopulate the area in 1768 came mainly from Germany, Italy and France, and received a little over 50 fanegas [fanega = 0.66 hectares] of land divided onto two plots.
In 1835, the special charter governing the Nuevas Poblaciones was abolished.
Near Fuente Palmera
Add to planner