Parroquia de Santiago el Mayor

Construction of the church began in 1559 and was completed in the 17th century: it is a Renaissance temple with a single wide nave, wherein the original architectural grandeur diminishes the restoration carried out to repair damage caused during the Civil War, which affected the vault and semi-circular exedra of the presbytery. It is likely that the architects Hernán Ruiz II and Juan de Ochoa intervened in the construction of the church.

Inside, special attention should be drawn to the series of chapels built during the 16th century, with facades configured around semi-circular arches.

The most notable element of the building is the facade, with its Ionic columns: a trabeated span flanked by pairs of columns that sustain an entablature and a split curved pediment.

  • Address:

    Plaza de los Mártires, 0

  • Zip:14801

More Information

No attachment for this content