Guadalcázar still houses vestiges of the splendour of the past, such as the old palace. Sheltered amidst gentle slopes given over to cereal cultivation, Guadalcázar still recalls the splendour of past ages, when the first Marquess of the locality, Diego Fernández de Córdoba, brought back the riches he had accumulated during his terms as a viceroy in the New World. A pale vestige of this former splendour is present in the form of the lopped tower that once belonged to the old palace.
- The town is located in the west of the province, 10km from the Motorway of Andalusia.
- Distance from Córdoba: 28 km.
- Altitude: 158 m.
- Surface area: 71.9 km2.
- Population: 1261.
- Term used to designate inhabitants: Guadalcazareños.
- Region: La Vega del Guadalquivir.
The present-day village arose in 1377 when Lope Gutiérrez de Córdoba (Gutiérrez had received the estate of Montilla and exchanged this with the Lord of Anguilar for other properties, which included the estate of Guadalcázar) obtained royal sanction to construct a fortress in the area with sixty vassals. Amongst the various title-holders of the estate, particular attention should be drawn to Diego Fernández de Córdoba, named Marquess by Phillip III in 1609, who held the post of viceroy of Nueva España [New Spain] and Peru.