The Sevillian grace of the Baroque towers of la Rambla recalls visions of Écija. The Sevillian grace of the Baroque towers of la Rambla recalls visions of Écija. However, whilst the village’s monuments are of no less importance, the locality is famous for its traditional white pottery (the drinking jugs provide refreshment throughout Spain) and the booming industry based around this craft. Indeed, this trade is not the result of recent improvisation: in La Minilla, bell-shaped urns have been unearthed, which were moulded by the inhabitants of this area four thousand years ago.
- This village is located in the southeast of the province, 4 km from the N-331 road.
- Distance from Córdoba: 41 km.
- Altitude: 325 m.
- Surface area: 134.4 km2.
- Population: 7.410.
- Term used to designate inhabitants: Rambleños.
- Region: Campiña Sur.
Whilst the toponym remains unknown, a Roman town, which was walled at the end of the era of the Republic, existed in the area. The Moors named the town al-Rambla (the origin of the present name), meaning “sandy area”. In 1480, Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, who was to become the Gran Capitán [The Great Captain], was appointed custodian of the castle. On the 6th of February 1521, La Rambla acquired historical protagonism as the site of the meeting of the heads of the cities opposed to the uprising against Charles V. These representatives signed a manifesto expressing their loyalty to the king and were rewarded for this gesture with the privilege of appointing court attorneys.La Rambla was a property of the Crown under the jurisdiction of Córdoba. In 1647, Phillip IV allowed the locality to appoint an alcalde mayor; however five years later he ceded the town to the Duke of Olivares and, in 1677, the Duke's! heir, the Marquess of El Carpio, sold the municipality to Marquessess of Almodóvar, who subsequently became Lords of La Rambla.