Montemayor is a typical fortified village, staggered into terraces that climb a hillside. Montemayor is a typical fortified village, staggered into terraces that climb a hillside that has been crowned for centuries by the castle and the main parish church, monuments that are noteworthy for their artistic interest and excellent state of preservation. However, the present-day village, which is of medieval origin, possesses roots that much more remote, given that the village is built over the site of the Roman town of Ulia, as several archaeological discoveries have shown.
- This village is located in the south of the province, along the N-331 road.
- Distance from Córdoba: 32 km.
- Altitude: 392 m.
- Surface area: 57.3 km2.
- Population: 3936.
- Term used to designate inhabitants: Montemayorenses.
- Region: Campiña Sur.
The present-day village of Montemayor can be traced back to 1340, when Martín Alfonso de Córdoba brought settlers from the nearby castle of Dos Hermanas to the area, in order to improve the defences of the territory that had been conquered by Ferdinand III in the preceding century. Initially the castle was erected, and the village gradually grew around this structure. In the Modern era, the estate of Montemayor was controlled by the Counts of Alcaudete, and later passed into the hands of the House of Oropesa.