Posadas is a roadside village that arose on the banks of the Guadalquivir, along the route between Córdoba and Seville. A roadside village that arose on the banks of the Guadalquivir, along the old route between Córdoba and Seville, the name of Posadas [inns] evokes the locality's history in the hostel and inn sector, which survives today in the welcoming and open character of it inhabitants. Broken only by the medieval tower, now the belfry of the parish church, the horizontal line of white-washed houses is set within a gentle meander of the Guadalquivir.
- This village is located in the west of the province, next to the N-431 road.
- Distance from Córdoba: 32 km.
- Altitude: 85 m.
- Surface area: 159.1 km2.
- Population: 7360.
- Term used to designate inhabitants: Malenos.
- Region: Vega del Guadalquivir.
During the period of Moorish occupation, this area contained a settlement, situated on the route between Córdoba and Seville, known as al-Fanadiq [las posadas: the inns], undoubtedly in reference to the establishments of this nature that it contained. This locality was gradually deserted, some time before Ferdinand III conquered the area, and subsequently repopulated by Alfonso, whereupon it became known as Las Posadas del Rey. In 1264, the village came under the jurisdiction of the Council of Córdoba, and, in 1629, was sold as estate to Diego Fernández de Córdoba by Phillip IV. Certain historians cite Posadas or the surrounding area as the location of the Roman town of Detumo.