The houses Valsequillo, shine brightly under the sun like white dice, surrounded by fields given over to cereal cultivation. The houses Valsequillo [the dry valley], a relatively modern village, shine brightly under the sun like white dice, surrounded by fields given over to cereal cultivation. The tower of the parish church watches over the rooftops, and so strongly resembles a minaret that onlookers would expect a muezzin to emerge onto the wide balcony at any moment, calling the faithful to prayer.
- The hamlet is located to the north of the Alto Guadiato.
- Distance from Córdoba: 106 km.
- Altitude: 577 m.
- Surface area: 119.6 km2.
- Population: 415.
- Term used to designate inhabitants: Valsequillenses.
- Region: Valle del Guadiato.
The hamlet of Vasquillo arose as a dependency of Fuente Obejuna in the second half of the 16th century, based around an inn that already existed in the 15th century. The recent history of the hamlet runs parallel to that of the neighbouring localities of La Granjuela and Los Bláquez: in 1817 Vasquillo gained independence from Fuente Obejuna and formed a part of the Cinco Aldeas [five hamlets], housing the town hall of this municipal collective. A short time later, in 1842, the hamlet became an independent municipality.