The triangular urban centre, within the gentle embrace of two of the hills of Sierra Boyera, El Chaparral and La Loma. According to the poet Alejandro López Andrada, Villanueva del Rey appears “ship of gold and whitewash that has run aground, saved from wreckage between the hills”. The triangular urban centre, within the gentle embrace of two hills of Sierra Boyera, El Chaparral and La Loma, is a maze of climbing streets that centre on the plaza and lead down to the austere parish church, which possesses a humble tower that appears reticent to break the horizontal harmony of the village.
- The village is located in the Valle del Guadiato [Guadiato Valley], close to the N-432.
- Distance from Córdoba: 67 km.
- Altitude: 549 m.
- Surface area: 215.7 km2.
- Population: 1.224.
- Term used to designate inhabitants: Villanovenses.
- Region: Valle del Guadiato.
The village of Villanueva del Rey dates back to the beginning of the 14th century. Originally under the jurisdiction of the Council of Córdoba, in 1637 it was sold to Pedro Gómez de Cárdenas, which occasioned a brief change of name to Villanueva de Cárdenas.